Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Boys night out, Girls night in

The more recent generations of Nobmann's are not what you would call hard core outdoors men. I think we much more enjoy going shopping for camping gear and buying all kinds of toys and gadgets that we will never use but will set us apart from our more primitive camping competitors should we be forced into unchartered territories. But we rarely end up with any competitors at all; b/c camping rarely meets the 2 C's. ( "catered and comfortable"). With my new 4 year old and our two man tent (that I strategically placed on our wedding registry list, to pull at the tender heart strings of my soon to be wife who has fond camping memories with a loving grandfather) we loaded up Daddy's loud truck and found ourselves headed to the deep wilderness. So, about 7 minutes later we pulled up to Tower Park Camp Grounds. We quickly found our spot and planted our Flag. Oshyn was so excited about the tent, he was the best little helper. It also helps that the tent poles closely resemble long swords and spears. We threw up the tent and rolled out the plaid carpet; lets be honest who really wants to step out onto cold damp grass! You say "C'mon that's camping" I say "Just because I'm camping doesn't mean I need to be stupid too". With the tent up and the sleeping bags rolled out Oshyn was ready for bed. He was so excited about being in the tent and in his cozy sleeping bag that at 6:30pm with the sun still blazing and no dinner in his belly, he said: "Dad, lets read some books" which is just another way to say "lets go to bed! " I told him we needed to have dinner first and then we could read Curious George goes Camping; what else do you read when you go camping? After some excellent sausages and some tri-tip tacos we went exploring. Up the hill and out to the dock to see how the fish were doing. Then back to camp to chop some 4x12's for the fire. This blog is brought to you by today's world class lumber yard Golden State Lumber, who provides me with the best possible scraps for firewood and pays me 5 bucks for every-time I mention their name in one of my Blogs. This was the Inaugural father-son's camping trip for us, so Oshyn stayed up until 8:30 and then it was off to bed. I stayed up and talked story around the camp fire and roasted some marshmallows with the rest of the campers. Oshyn woke up with the sun and quickly found the left over marshmallows in an open bag. 9:00 at night or 6:00 am you can't beat a good roasted marshmallow!!! Watch out "Man vs. Wild" here comes the Nobmann boys!

4 comments:

heidi said...

good work men! we had fun with grammie while you were gone!! :)

Lacey said...

This is so great! It sounds like you had such a fun time. Maybe next time uncle Chas can go too and you can make up stories around the campfire. Tell Oshyn he will have to bring ear muffs though because uncle Chas can saw a log.

Anonymous said...

Hey Beau --. I was lucky enough to be there when the boys came home from Boys Night out -- and saw how special this was to Oshyn. You're such a wonderful Daddy -- Happy Father's Day -- I'm so glad you're the Daddy of my grandsons.
Love -- grammie

Ben said...

Oh those days will be here very soon!
Golden State Lumber
Golden State Lumber
Golden State Lumber
Golden State Lumber
Golden State Lumber
Golden State Lumber
Golden State Lumber
Golden State Lumber
Golden State Lumber
Golden State Lumber
I get 10%