Yesterday we witnessed this little beloved tree's last day in Lodi. When I asked "J" why he was cutting it down he said, "Too many kids are climbing it and it's dangerous."

(Here's the mini tree in better days ie. 2 days ago :)
Maybe I remember how much fun I had climbing trees growing up? Or was it because as a kid we could ride in the back of pick up trucks for fun? Or drink water from hoses? Perhaps this is a minor overreaction, but I just want my kids to be able to be kids and explore--they definitely get hurt (I'm considering learning how to make stitches out of dental floss at the moment) but I think that's part of it.
So...I guess we'll have to go over to the basketball court and climb the remaining 4 trees until the saw gets 'em.
3 comments:
That would never fly in Oregon. This tree lovin' state makes you get a permit to cut a tree down even if it's about to crush your house. You guys should come for a visit, there are lots of trees to climb and they are a lot higher than 8 feet!
What a bummer -- it's because they are so worried about being sued.
Here in New Zealand -- no one can sue because they have something called accident compensation.
So you'll see a sign by the deep old mining hole at the old gold mines in Bendigo that says, "PARENTS... mind your kids."
And that's what it takes.
I agree, Heidi. We (as in most parents) totally baby our kids nowadays, in my opinion. Let them fall out of trees! Let em scrape their knees!
It's true, though, stupid law suits are everything nowadays.
Post a Comment