Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Crudini and destructive tendencies

An update on the bed situation (mostly for remembering later--dulled down a bit since blogger just erased my entire post--bah humbug)...
Cruz is staying in his room, not coming out--which is something I wondered about both of my boys when I de-cribbed them.  It's kind of funny to me that it takes a while for them to truly realize what kind of freedom they have just been given.  Cruz (and Oshyn when he was little) calls--well, YELLS to me, "I READY TO GET UP!!!"  He doesn't get up until I come into his room.  I like it.  I have to say that the head banging has ceased when going to sleep, but upon waking he bangs his noggin against the headboard or wall just as hard as before.  Brain damage inevitable?  Hopefully not.  Headache for life?  I don't see how not.
Nights have been a success.  Oshyn wants to sleep with Cruz every night.  I had him give his little brother one night of flying solo, but they have cuddled the other two.  
Nap time is a different story.  Maybe it is because Policeman Oshyn doesn't nap.  This is one of those rare times I'd like a camera baby monitor.  I want them to have privacy in life, but spying sounds good after the past few days.  Cruz stays in his room during naps too.  And eventually sleeps.  It is the in between time that is a small mystery.  I don't hear much, but when I go to get him afterwards, I see much.  The first day it was cars and toy bricks in bed, the second day, stuffed animals and a book.  Kind of cute and as long as he stays in there I don't mind.  Well, today the norm must have gotten boring.  I walk in to greet him with a smile and all over his bed are tiny scraps of ripped up books (these pictures below do NO justice, this is the remains--after the clean up) and the art wall in their room has been cleared of its masterpieces (it used to be COVERED almost completely).  I have no idea how he reached so high on the wall, but he did--hence another reason for the spy camera.  
When I asked Cruz if he was the destroyer of all of these things, he calmly replied, "Yep."  No remorse at all.  This isn't his first book slaughter and I can't seem to get the "respect-your-books" into his almost 2-year-old brain.    
Question: Any ideas of what to do to keep the books safe or to help him understand? (besides moving them on the top shelf--I want Oshyn to be able to reach them)  Suggestions welcomed ASAP, another day that goes by--another book (or 5) down the drain.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonder about a mini marbles in the jar (baby food jar or small size?) He gets a marble if he doesn't wreck a book? Not sure he's old enough to get it or not but he sure is one smart cookie...

or you can bring him here and I'll watch him till he falls asleep...
xomom

Megan said...

how cute are your boys! I found your blog on Leahs a while ago. I need to invite you to ours. Email me at meganmschmitt@gmail.com. So good to see pics of your family. Are you coming to arizona anytime soon?

Unknown said...

oh no!!!! :) I like your mom's idea but it totally has to be something that you know he will work for.
I know I totally want one of those video montiors, for our none napping days! LOL

Megan and Keli'i said...

We get to play in three weeks. Yes, I'm excited! And your kids are adorable! Can't wait to meet Cruz!