Saturday, August 15, 2009

Cherished Saturday Mornings

After only a few weeks of Kindergarten I have realized that our lives are forever changed. We now once again belong to the "Weekends-are-priceless" club. Having to wake up Monday thru Friday, quickly get ready and off to school by 7:55a is all of the hazing necessary to belong. Its been over 7 years since I've been a part of this organization, but I am rapidly remembering all that this association entails. Oshyn was thrilled to get to stay in his pjs for a bit and watch Saturday morning cartoons. Cruz came down and joined him while I ran off to the store to get some final goods for banana bread/muffins. They were highly content as Beau slept and continued to be until I got home. All of this brought me back to my own Saturday mornings growing up...
I would wake up I'm sure pretty early and watch Saturday morning cartoons (isn't that a given for all kids?). Later my Mom would make pancakes for Chad & french toast for me or sometimes my Dad would go get some fresh glazed donuts from the store and we'd eat them with a glass of cold milk. Either way, a weekend treat. My Dad would read the newspaper and I would read the comic page on the patio outside. Most places this would only work for a few months, but in Arizona we enjoyed the fresh morning air year around (maybe with the misters on in the summer). Simple, yet I fondly remember these mornings and I guess not having them everyday is what makes them so cherished.
So I guess it won't be so bad making our own favored Saturday morning rituals. Besides, who said we had a choice about the Monday-Friday anyways?


As for the Banana Bread/Muffins, they were delicious and easy.
Here's the recipe (from Tricky Nikki):
5 tbsp butter
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 lg egg
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c chopped walnuts
1 1/2 super ripe mashed bananas
1 3/4 c flour (works with rice flour too)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 c heavy cream

Beat butter, add sugars--beat well, add eggs & vanilla and beat again, add bananas--beat again. Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl and alternate adding d.i. with cream--ending with flour. Pour batter into greased and floured bread pan (or put in muffin tins) and bake at 350 for 1 hour (or about 20 minutes for muffins). Enjoy!

2 comments:

freckletree said...

i am thinking about booking a trip to ca in oct. we want to visit while we're there. anytime bad for you. hurry, reply, im anxious and might book the trip within the next hour.

Denae said...

Mmmmm... those sound good. I will be appreciating this recipe soon. Thanks!