we got everything together and opened our back gate to put it all away. It was then that Beau noticed our road bike was missing. Not our Walmart bike that I cruise around with Tyce in the green goodie seat, but a bike I was given as a birthday gift a few years back that resembles one you may see people in tight clothing and helmets ride--like they are working, not lolli-gagging. My heart sank and the fabulous mood that we were both in plummeted. This wasn't a bike we could easily replace. We looked around the neighborhood, but no luck. It is not an exaggeration to say that we were heart broken. I loved the feeling of flying I got when riding the Lightspeed.
As I was getting ready to go to bed a few days later Monday night, I heard a ding on my phone (meaning an email had come through). I opened up the email from one of my dearest friends and time literally stopped.
I found out earlier today that I have breast cancer.
and as I type this weeks later, I still cry--for this kind of trial and journey in a person's life are never wanted or asked for (yet still for a reason). It is all very surreal to me, yet in just a moment, it brought me back to the perspective of what is really truly important in life. Good friends, family, relationships--people in general.
Not bikes.
3 comments:
oh man my heart sank too. that's devastating. i'm so sorry for your friend.
your family is too cute though. kevin was seriously so happy about his valentine. he mentioned it again this morning:) ah, the little things...thanks for being such a good friend & visiting teacher!
It doesn't take much to put life into perspective. It's the ( gigantic) littlemthings thatnare of the most importance. Love you for your kind heart and a million other things.
I hope your friend has caught it early. When it touches you so personally, your life as well as hers will forever be changed. Thanks to so many supportive individuals, so much has changed for the better with breast cancer...and it gives all of us HOPE!
Luv u..Aunt Shari
Post a Comment