Monday, September 8, 2008
Denva and Koosherem solo mio
Wednesday night we headed off to Colorado to visit my Mom and Pete
in what Oshyn used to call "Denva", sounding like his kiwi Grandad. (Always a bummer when they realize things that you don't want them too--like Denva, Denver and bear hockey, air hockey...you get my drift.) Fortunately the airplane was only 1/2 full on our flight and we got a whole row to ourselves. Actually more like 5 rows to ourselves. Thursday was spent at the park, not just any park but a Denva park, with an array of play equipment and huge climbing rocks out of our norm. Then Grandad taught Oshyn how to sail--making sure he was ready..."Which is the right? Which is the left?" Lucky for Oshyn he knew/guessed the correct answers and was given
the controls. Friday rained, which opened the doors to the mall with a huge indoor smooshy playground. I think everyone else had the same idea. I have never seen so many kids with so many parents chasing after them in my life. A GREAT people watching opportunity. We ate pizza at Deby's restaurant which may seem like no big deal to most, but a gluten-free pizza that somebody else makes is HUGE. Thanks Deby. Here comes the kicker...then Pete dropped me off at the airport...BY-MY-SELF to go to my girlfriend's wedding. I can honestly say my head felt lighter--not dizzy, but to only have to worry about myself--I almost didn't know what to do. I would have to say that I only have a small amount, if no, sympathy for those who complain about plane rides when they have zero kids in tow. As entertaining as the short guys are, how fun was it to cruise the shops in the airport, read my book and just sit. I highly recommend it. Maybe that's just it, when its not the norm, you appreciate it more. I stayed the night with Beau's mom in Draper and just mosied on down to the
middle of nowhere land arriving in a beautiful ranch, 3 hours south of SLC, in Koosherem, Utah. My Meghan Marie Kennedy is now Meghan Marie Rickenbach. What a fun wedding sitting on hay bales for the ceremony and listening to a blue grass band all night under a blanket of stars and white lights. I think a few people felt bad for me, being alone and offered for me to bunk with them for the night...don't worry Beau, just girls--no lonely cowboys. I reassured them that I WANTED to stay by myself, I actually finished my book for once! Sunday I headed back north. You know you are in Utah when it
is 10:55am and you start looking for a church--find one at 10:56am (took a whole minute because like I said earlier--I was in the middle of nowhere) and go to Sacrament at 11am. The gospel is alive and kickin' even in Salina 4th ward. I caught up with Grandma Orchard, Uncle Robert, the Knapps, and Grandma Annie once again before I said Aloha to the Beehive state around 8pm. Then yada yada yada-I-probably-should-have-slept-in-the-Denver-airport, we all arrived in Sacramento this morning at 8 am. Thank you so very very much Mom and Pete for thinking our kids are as great as we do and loving them lots. A good time for us all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
i totally agree with the no tolerance for people who complain who don't fly with little ones. what are they talking about, they don't have to entertain little people and keep them in their seats and make sure they don't bug everyone else, all they have to do is keep them selves occupied.
that wedding sounds so cool- the whole sitting on bales of hay and all!
i am flying solo to california in a month...so so scared, it's gonna be a rough one, hopefully we will have an empty plane like yours, that is so nice!
I'm with you Heidi! I love flying by myself now. It's down time when I can just read a book & be calm. It's amazing how much easier it is without kids. I'd do it every day!
Blake & Janet are coming in a couple of weeks!!! They just decided they want to come stop by!!! You guys come too!
I miss seeing Grandma June and Grandma Annie, Robert, Michelle, Melinda, etc. etc. etc.. I'm jealous :)
And I'm more than sure about who had the MOST fun over the weekend. It was my dream come true to have those two little boys all to myself (and Pete's self). We loved it and want to do it again before too long!
Thanks for letting us have them and thanks for helping them be so precious.
Lots of love - mom
Post a Comment