Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I wanna be like Aunt Judy

Growing up we ALWAYS made sugar cookies for Christmas. Pressed in shaped cookie cutters with just the right amount of flour and dough. I swear we made hundreds of these delicious cookies. Aunt Judy made it look easy.
Ever since I've been a mom I've tried to replicate these cookies. When my nephews lived close I tried to make sugar cookies a tradition for the next generation. I wanted (and still want) to be the "Aunt Judy". Since they moved away this past year I wasn't going to give up making the cookies, but there is just something about making cookies with more than just 2 people (Oshyn and I).
Last week I decided it was time to make some sugar cookies. I use her recipe tweaked a little to make it GF. I haven't quite figured out how to make them GF and roll able, so they aren't in the famous and wonderful Christmas tree, reindeer, star or candy cane shapes that I dream of from my youth :) ...they are all round--I like to think of them as Christmas balls on the tree or even Rudolph's nose. Well anyway, when it came time to decorate, the neighborhood boys (aka Oshyn's football buddies) had just knocked on our door and one by one we invited Fabian, Joel and Anthony in to decorate with us. I wanted more people right?
I am still amazed at how Aunt Judy just gave us tubs of frosting, all the decorating sprinkles and just let us go at it. She never got mad at us for putting too much frosting or too many sprinkles or for licking our fingers. We just had a good 'ol time. I don't know any AZ cousin of mine that doesn't have fond memories of this glorious tradition.
So back to me. I set a big bowl of green frosting in front of the boys and all of the sprinkles we own in front of them on the table and let them have at it. This is what became of it...












Kind of funny to me. Looks just like the creativity my brother (the only younger boy cousin) had when decorating cookies.
The idea was to have them all decorate 4 or so (we didn't have hundreds...only about 2 dozen), take one to eat and then just have the decorated leftovers for later. Well, its one thing to see your own kid (or nieces and nephew) lick his knife and then keep dipping, but the dirty sweaty neighborhood buddies licking?! Couldn't do it. I told them to just eat ALL of the cookies they decorated and then sent them on their way. Nothing to show for the day except a smiling Oshyn walking out to play football saying, "Thanks Mom". Totally worth it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A most precious post and a most loving tribute to the best auntie alive.

And want to know what else? She would be the first to say how very lucky she is to have you and your brother as part of her very special family.

I love you -- mom

Anonymous said...

I just read this again and I have to say I have tears in my eyes. Your kids are so lucky to have you for a Mom.
xo

Unknown said...

We were so lucky to have that time with Aunt Judy and our cousins and I am so glad that Aunt Judy and I were able to teach you how to make a decorate... :-)

Unknown said...

Your so Awesome! And I couldn't stop laughing about the little boys because I totally would have been the same!!! This was the cutest post ever... I LOVE YOU GIRL!!! :)