Monday, August 31, 2009

Smashed by the 8 pounder

We had a nice easy going Saturday morning. Delicious pancakes with fruit faces just like IHOP (but of course better at home). All was well. Then Cruz decided to pump some iron behind our backs. 8 lbs. we found out is more than he can curl. He dropped the weight on his toe, started screaming and all we saw was the bloody mess--no idea where it all came from. Once we figured out it was his toe and tried to check it out--it looked as though maybe his toe nail was just going to fall off. Pop goes the Motrin. After a call to Aunt Marcy we soaked it in cold water as he cried for 30 minutes straight. We took his little feet out and I was ready to put a band-aid on and call it painful but good. That was when I saw the lovely little fat coming out of a 1/2 inch slice down his 3rd toe. Disgusting and sad. Another call to Aunt Marcy & Kaiser and we were off to the ER. All Cruz wanted was for someone to hold his toes (he is still asking for that request, I think it relieves the pulsing). In we went, x-rays first and then to a little room with a stretcher. Have I mentioned yet how thankful I am that Beau was home? Well--I am. The doc came in and said, "Wow, that's bad...you know when the Doctor says that, its bad," I guess that was our clue to how bad it really was. Nice, honest guy, but I was hoping they could just use the glue. The doctor then went on to tell us he just did this same procedure on a friend and how extremely painful it was--that she was screaming. There was no easy way around and that they would need to stick the numbing needle right in where it split. AHHHHH, makes me cringe just thinking about it and brought tears to our eyes to think our little munchkin would soon be going through this torture he was explaining. He told us they would need to put him in a burrito (aka straight jacket) so he wouldn't move. Luckily Beau asked if he could just hold him and that worked--I didn't even think that was an option...thankful for Beau--oh yes, once again. A few minutes later everything began. Pitches of cries not heard before emerged, but after the numbing set in things calmed down. It is amazing at crazy times like these how much you are reminded how immensely & deeply you love this little person. Cruz was a trooper. He (and we) made it through 4 stitches and some crazy glue sealant. Oh and did I mention his toe was fractured? The goal is to keep the stitches in 2 days--ideally 5. That shouldn't be too hard, eh? Well the rest of Saturday was pretty chill...but, Sunday Cruz ran straight off the stage at church--not on purpose, busted open something that made him bleed through his band-aid (we put on a new one & are hoping for the best) then for good measure decided to drink mouth wash when he was supposed to be in bed. Today I kept him pretty controlled. He wanted to ride scooters to pick up Oshyn--so he could do tricks, but I wasn't that naive.
About 1/2 hour ago Beau found him upstairs climbing the stair railing with drink coozies on his hands. Why? "Cuz I'm a strong monkey." We will pray to make it 5 days. He needs it.

6 comments:

Jill said...

I got teary just reading about it ... poor baby. So glad that he is feeling well enough to jump off stages! ;)
My girls are pretty wimpy when it comes to pain ... I am sure I would be holding them for a couple weeks after something like that. What a strong boy you have!

Anonymous said...

Grammie fears it will not be the last trip to the ER for this little guy.

Dan said...

It looks like Beau's toe after the Portland Marathon. Sad.

Unknown said...

poor widdle guy. Poor you. CRAZY times I tell you. My heart hurt when you were explaining the needle going in. With and ahhh and a deep hurt feeling in my heart right when you said ahhh.... :( hang in there! Give him a big hug for me and tell him we hope is toe gets better soon.

Katherine said...

Poor little man. And awful mommy moments too. That sounded like a nightmare from start to finish! We sure hope it feels better soon. I broke my pinkie toe that same week- wierd!

ashley said...

poor kid, sounds like a trooper though! hope all is well!